Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT Plane Crash because of Birds

On Jan 16, 11:21*am, mike wrote:
On Jan 16, 2:51*am, Jimw wrote:

Off Topic, but hardware related.

It's been all over the news about the plane that crashed into a river
in (I think) New York. *They said it was caused by birds flying into
the engine. *Then they showed a report of the number of bird caused
plane accidents and deaths each year. *From 1990 to 2007 there were
almost 80,000 accidents caused by birds. *There have been numerous
deaths and millions of dollars of damages. *

OK, looking at the engines they showed on tv, I immediately thought
***Why dont they put some sort of screening over the engine***
It would only seem like a couple hundred dollars worth of hardware
cloth would solve the problem. *Why dont they think of simple
solutions like this? *

Jim

Here's an idea: *They could mount goose radar on the engines. *Then,
the split second before impact, a lot of buckshot is fired forward to
blow the offending geese to shreds, thereby softening the engine
strike.

Of course, that's much easier to say than do.- Hide quoted text -

Since LaGuardia Airport is in NY, I think it's prohibited by law. If
we assume that the pilot is in possesion of the plane while flying it,
then section 11-0931-1(b) of the New York Environmental Conservation
Law - Prohibitions On The Use And Possession Of Firearms - might cover
it.

§ 11-0931. Prohibitions on the use and possession of firearms.
1. No person except a law enforcement officer in the performance
of his official duties shall use in hunting or possess in the fields
or forests or on the waters of the state for any purpose:
b. any automatic firearm, or any firearm which has been
converted to an automatic type, or any firearm which has a built-
in mechanical adjustment which will permit it to function as an
automatic arm;