Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Wasting taxpayer money - The FCC and over the air HDTV Rollout

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Smarty wrote:

I am a retired broadcast engineer with 3 FCC licenses, 40 years of
broadcast engineering experience, a graduate electrical engineer, a
ham radio enthusiast since the 1950's, and a harsh critic of
government policies which ignore solid science and engineering
principles.
Regrettably, the FCC in recent years is a good example of decision
making by lawyers and politicians rather than by good engineers.

I think you misunderstand the roles various people play. It is the role of
the politician to decide on goals and the role of the engineer to make
them come true. Let me give you another example:

If a lawyer or accountant says "what you want cannot be done," the next
words from your mouth should be "you're fired." Lawyers, accountants, and
engineers are STAFF positions, not LINE positions. Politicians are
commanders, engineers are administrators.

When things turn out well, the politician gets the credit for setting and
achieving the goals. When things turn out poorly, the engineers will get
the blame for the failure. This is the way it has always been, this is the
way it always will be, this is the way the world works.

In our government, what you say is largely true. But this is NOT the way the
world works. Many organizations including both hugely successful businesses
as well as foreign governments chose leaders who understand more than merely
the political aspects of goal setting and decision making. They understand
that better decisions are made when more information and understanding is
applied.

It is not a coincidence that many countries have deployed and enjoy much
more advanced transportation systems, health delivery systems, and
manufacturing infrastructures than the U.S. There is a very good reason why
we are getting our asses kicked in world competition, and it stems directly
from bad leadership and bad decision making, primarily in Washington.