Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_2_] Gerald Ross[_2_] is offline

Default Making custom tools

Ed Edelenbos wrote:
Being a little bit of a packrat, over the years I've collected a bunch of
tools. I have several old and mistreated (but not over heated) lathe tools
that I can reshape into some custom profiles. I was eyeing up some beat
screwdrivers in my junk box and wondering about the suitability of any of
those for some mini tools. Has anyone here had luck doing this? Shaping,
tempering (if necessary), and using?

What sort of stock is good to use for homemade tools?

Ed

I sometimes burn a decorative groove around an object with a wire held
between two knobs. In order to start the wire straight I made a very
sharp pointed tool from an old screwdriver to cut a shallow v-groove
in the wood. It works well for it's intended purpose.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Social Security: World's biggest Ponzi Scheme.