Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Painting MDF?

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
If you have seen any of my posts before, you'll know that I usually
think I know it all but apparently I don't and now I have a few
questions. My domain consists of solid wood and the ocassional ply for
all my finished goods type production. I use MDF all the time for
fixtures, etc. but have never incorporated it in a finished piece.

I am building a fireplace surround and mantel for my new home. It
seems best to build some of the parts from MDF. It will be painted.

Q's.

1. Is MDF paintable? It ssems the moisture will screw it up. Is there
some priming method required?

2. I seem to recall a variant that has a paper coating. Is that
required?

3. What about edge prep if you are using the papered version.

4. I will have a scenario where I want to use butt joints. I want to
sort of puttey the end grain (or edge) and fill the gap of the butt
joint and sand it out smooth so it won't show once painted. Could I
just use like sheet rock taping compound or is there something better?

BW

I have a customer that moves every 5 years or so and insists on redoing the
kitchen each time. He is sold on MDF flat panel doors, which I cut out and
drill for Euro hinges, he spray paints the panels in his garage. He
typically lives in $500,000 homes so I don't get the attraction to this type
of door but it has the look that he is going after. That said, these MDF
doors are the only thing he spray paints and I'll have to say that his
results are pretty darn good. He does use an oil based primer and paint and
lightly sands the primed surface before applying the final paint coats. No
sanding of edges before the primer goes on.