Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default PVC and dust collectio safety

"Leon" wrote

Yes you can get a drink of water by simply breathing through your open
mouth, in the Summer months. Winter however can be quite dry and I build
up quite a charge, enough so that I try to temember to discharge myself by
grasping my keys and letting the tip of a key be the ignition point as get
ready to close the door. You can easily see a 1/4" spark.

Reminds me of the electronics lab at my old technical school. We were tasked
with not only generating huge amounts of static electricity with/without our
bodies, but we had to discharge it and MEASURE it! It became like a horror
movie, mad scientist laboratory.

We had different kinds of synthetic material that we would rub with glass
rods and our feet. We would build up a charge and go out into the hallway
and look for victims. After enough complaints, we got shut down. Talk
about being politically incorrect.