Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Update on welding with implanted defibrillator

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 00:34:13 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 00:40:05 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

Had another thought today:

Perhaps the young doc hasn't yet encountered a patient who has
expertise in a related field and doesn't yet know how to deal with
that. It's not uncommon among highly-educated young chargers.

Excellent insight, Don. Gonna show him your DonRube device?

I have
ample experience with smoke, feathers, fancy dancing and
bafflebull****. I didn't deal with medical folks during my working
life but I dealt with plenty of high-talent young PhD's in science and
engineering.

I won't ask about some of that, especially the feathers.

A conversation with a decades-experienced "device nurse" was
enlightening.

She said that the doc would not adjust parameters in an attempt to
optimize compatibility with welding, he would adjust them to optimize
performance for the medical purpose required and intended.

But he should, as you'll be welding after the operation. He needs to
adjust the device to protect you as much as possible, and that means
to -your- lifestyle, not his optimum view.

Well, duh! That's exactly what he should do. Welding is optional,
dead guys don't need to weld. I could fault the young Doc's
people skills but I gotta respect a no-compromise attitude re doing
what is medically best whether I like it or not. That places
responsibility for risk of welding squarely upon me, which is exactly
where it belongs.

Ah, more ammo for the operee. Carry on...

--
If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.