Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony B Tony B is offline

Default TV Mounting onto plasterboard walls ?

"Huge" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:27:18 +0000, Mike Clarke wrote:

Phil L wrote:

Your speakers were 8kg? - his telly is 12kg and will probably get
handled a lot more than hi-fi speakers, cleaning, adjustments etc.

Yes, but he has 4 screws for the TV and I had 2 screws for each 8Kg
speaker.

Obviously it would be wise to confirm that the bracket feels secure
enough before entrusting it to the full load. If repeated handling has
any effect then it's likely to show up as a gradual loosening in time to
take remedial action. I think it's extremely unlikely that it would lead
to catastrophic failure.

The telly (15" Sony CRT) in our bedroom is mounted on a bracket, that was
originally fastened just to the plasterboard. After a while I noticed
that the p'board was "ballooning" outwards round the bracket... I screwed
a piece of plywood to the studs and screwed the bracket to that, instead.

As other posters have observed this style fo wall doesn't have studs. If
they had I would have adjusted the TV mounting to line up with a stud at
least for 2 of the fixings.

Tony