Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default OT Plane Crash because of Birds

Kurt Ullman wrote in
:

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Jimw" wrote in message
Off Topic, but hardware related.

I have to imagine it has been thought of. I also have to imagine it
has to be a problem. Air flow over the screen at 600 mph can be a
problem. Resistance and the support needed for the screen would be
too. Not to mention that some stuff that is normally sucked through
the engine could block the screen and cause even bigger problems.

They were also worried about icing and deicing. You'd have to almost
put the deicer directly into the engine itself and that can't be a
good thing. Also, when you look at the forces involved in hitting a
large goose at take off speeds or higher, you run out of materials
that make any sense very quickly.

the incredible vacuum pull of such an engine would require something a LOT
stronger than hardware cloth,and it wuold restrict airflow.

some Soviet fighter jets use doors that close over the normal intakes to
prevent ingesting debris on the runway,and have auxiliary intake doors on
the top of the engine cowling. Mig-29 does this,IIRC.
Except this still would not have worked in this incident,as the geese were
ingested at higher altitudes when the doors would have been open.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik