Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Your rights

Man at B&Q coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Jan 15, 11:56*pm, "Unbeliever" wrote:
Dave wrote:
If various different government departments have been given the right
to enter your home, just where does this put your basic European
rights to privacy?

Dave

Privacy, what privacy? *Under the various regulations and laws spouting
from both this country and the EEC there is no such thing as privacy now
- George Orwell's 1984 has arrived! *(It was a bright cold day in April,
and the clocks were striking thirteen.)

All private telephone calls, e-mails and internet traffic is now
intercepted

Don't be stupid.

MBQ

OK, he overstated it perhaps...

But, from March, ISPs will need to keep a log of your emails (to, from[1]
and dates, but not content. I run my own mail server so the government can
stuff that up their ****.

[1] not sure if "from and to" mean all headers or just the end point IP
addresses.

Telephone calls are already logged in a similar fashion for billing, from,
to and date/time.

If MI5 wants any of that data, or they want to wiretap your internet feed,
I'm sure not much will stop them anyway ("Spooks" techno-********
notwithstanding)

Personally, I'm less worried about MI5 - I presume they're too busy trailing
actual nutters to have the resources to snoop everyone. It's grubby
unrelated council and government depts having too easy access to such data
that bothers me ( RIPA used to catch dog-fouling etc -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7369543.stm )

Time to go IPv6 - doubt if they idiots can cope with that...

Cheers

Tim