Posted to rec.woodworking
TwoGuns TwoGuns is offline

Default HF MUltifunction tool. . . first impressions.

Yesterday I bought a Multifunction Tool at the local Harbor Freight
store. I paid $59.99 for it. I have watched several of the Fein
Multitasking tools infomercials for the past year but I just couldn't
bring myself to fork over the $360.00 plus that it cost.

Today I had a project that required cutting 1/4 Birch plywood. I had
to make several cuts of 24 inches in straight lines. On my first cut I
had to stop and retighten my blade. I didn't have a torque wrench so I
was probably not twisting the 100 inch pounds the manual required. I
put a bit more ooooomph into the tightening and tried cutting again.
This time it worked great. I found that the best way to cut the 1/4
inch ply was to go slowly at first and not force the blade. After the
blade was an inch or so into the cut it was very easy. I was
freehanding following the pencil line and the quality of the cut was
better than any of my jig saws or circular saws. Absolutely no tear
out and very little sawdust. So far so good.

Tomorrow I am working on a project that requires cross cutting several
pieces of one inch Hickory. That should really test the capability of
the tool.

Have any of you had a chance to test this tool? Anyone done a headsup
comparison with the real thing, the Fein tool? Or the new Dremel
clone?

Dennis