Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default PVC and dust collectio safety

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
I am not sure how old you are but I recall numerous news reports of fires
at the pumps caused by a static discharge. Pumps in Houston warn to not
fill loose gas cans inside a vehicle.

I wouldn't dispute that, but no I hadn't heard any such reports and I
figure if they were "numerous" I would have heard of at least one. Anyway,
my (implied) point was that the odds of an explosion in the presence of
static electricity and gasoline vapors would seem far more likely that one
in a wood shop, but how's about we just forget I said anything and we'll
put the lid back on this can of worms...

I've seen video of the exploding gas at the pumps. Usually caused when in
the winter someone sets the pump to fill, gets back in the car to keep warm,
then gets out and grabs the pump handle. I think that is one reason self
service pump do not have the locking fill handle.

In all the western states I've driven through Washington, California,
Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, Texas,
etc), I've never seen any non-locking fill handles, in fact I've never
seen even one! I assume you're talking about the three position ridged
thingie with the metal spring loaded fliper thingie thaqt allows you to
"set and forget"? Can't be sure about Oregon as they don't allow self
serve.