Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Concrete machine tools

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25283

www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27234

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...9&d=1175483284

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...5&d=1178030533

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/archiv...p/t-14480.html

Thanks, Karl. It took some time to go through all of those, which is why I'm
slow getting back to you.

There are a few ideas in there but, frankly, those guys are mostly not up to
speed with this material. The machine designer who complained about cracks
in the polymer concrete reinforced it incorrectly. Most of the others are
talking about making sheet metal structures and trying to beef them up with
concrete. That's really not what I'm talking about. That's been done for
decades (particularly by the Italians and the French), and the structural
design issues they've had to face are much more complex than those posters
are talking about. That kind of structure, while it sounds simple, is
anything but.

I would have approached this as a long-term research project years ago,
except that I don't want to spend that much of my spare time, and I see no
money in it. No time, no money...I don't do those things anymore. g I'd
get involved now just for the hobbyist satisfaction of it IF there were at
least a dozen other people who were serious about it and who would
contribute. But I realize after reading those threads you linked to that
even guys who are knowledgeable machinists may not understand stressed
concrete and concrete composites enough to do serious things without a lot
of study. Some boatbuilders know ferrocement, and some architects know FC
plus post-tensioning. Civil engineers usually know general reinforcement and
prestressing. Now I need to find a few of those who also are amateur
machinists. d8-)

So, I'll put it back in the can for now. Maybe when I retire -- if I ever
retire. Thanks again for your effort; it kept me from reinventing a wheel.

--
Ed Huntress