Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default OT We do not torture

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:

It is one thing to take the moral high ground when there is no danger
to you and yours but if your idealistic actions will cause the death
of someone, perhaps your own family, are you really sincere?

Bruce, I've been there.

Viet Nam - 1968 - 1969
1st of the 9th - 1st Cav
"The Head Hunters"

Your wife and family was in Vietnam?

Hi Bruce,
We have corresponded before in this and other groups, so I know you are not a
fool.

But drivel like that is more apropos of Gunner teasing Bird Brain than what I
have come to expect from you.

So, politely asked, knock it off, ok?

Today's news.

Skip down to the bottom line below?

I was not one of the ones involved in it back then.
I won't condone it today.

If it was illegal then, in a place as evil as that place was,
then why is it being allowed today - in the "free world"
by our own so called leaders?

For the full story...
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/DOJ/sto...6648730&page=1

Waterboarding, a harsh interrogation technique which simulates drowning, has
drawn criticism from lawmakers. Officials within the Bush administration have
acknowledged that the CIA has used the method on terror detainees after the 9/11
attacks, but insisted that it is not torture.

Responding to a question about waterboarding from committee chairman Sen.
Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., Holder said, "I agree with you, Mr. Chairman,
waterboarding is torture."

Holder, who has been a vocal critic of the administration's policies in the war
on terror, explained his stance further, saying, "If you look at the history of
the use of that technique used by the Khmer Rouge, used in the inquisition, used
by the Japanese and prosecuted by us as war crimes.

We prosecuted our own soldiers for using it in Vietnam."