Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default credit-card for windshield thin-ice: "credit-card-like" ice-scraper?

On 14 Jan 2009 22:08:18 -0500, (David Combs) wrote:

We all know that with a curved windshield, about the only
thing that works for (not too thick) ice is a credit-card,
since it is flexible enough to fit to the window shape,
yet is hard enough to get the ice cover.

Does there exist a "professional" window scraper
that somehow works as well as the credit card?

The scrapers I see (and have bought) have a rubber
squeege-thing on once side, and a hard plastic
"ice scraper" (I guess) on the other.

Would be fine with a 30=year old VW-Beatle, with
its perfectly flat winshield. Or maybe with big
trucks or vans, if that's what they have.

But a passenger car -- heck, I get maybe one third
of an inch wide scraped area (if that).

Bloody useless!

Any ideas? Any products that work on these
curved windows?

Thanks!

David

Many years ago I bought two scrapers that are a plastic handle with a
strip of brass to do the actual scraping. The brass strip is about 3
inches wide and it is the perfect balance of stiffness and
flexibility. Stiff to be able to deal with the ice, flexible to
accommodate the windshield curve.

A search for brass ice scraper yielded quite a few varieties. This
looks like the ones I have:

http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop...44_99_0214.htm

HTH,

Paul F.