Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Wood Bondo?

On Jan 15, 7:13*am, "Gypsy Moth" wrote:
Several years ago, a repair guy took care of a small area of rotted wood on
an exterior window sill by gouging out the rotted area and filling with some
sort of bondo-like wood filler. *It seems to have held up pretty well. * Any
idea what the stuff is called and where it is available?

Thanks in advance . . .

As everyone has mentioned......Bondo can be used successfully for wood
repair.

BUT I used a Bondo on exterior redwood sills ~20 years ago and it
FAILED in less than a year! I used Bondo instead of an epxoy based
wood filler (Bondo was about 1/3 or 1/4 the price of the epoxy
product"

I called Bondo tech support & asked them about this.......the tech rep
said "we do not recommend Bondo for the repair of redwood in exterior
situtations".

To which I replied "I guess I missed that warning on the label".

I switched to www.Abatron.com products; Liquid Wood & Wood Epox.
Expensive stuff but bullet proof. Needs to be painted to protect from
UV but I have some 20year+ WoodEpox that I shoved into holes in a
sttuco'd wall that get morning sun for about 2 hours. The stuff has
been unpainted & has held up very well.

The Abatron products that I have used have excellent
performance......I used then 20 years ago & again 2 years ago (to do
some addtional work, not re-work).

I wood use Bondo for interior work without a second thought BUT I
would never use it again on exterior work. YMMV.

The stuff is a lot more $'s than Bondo.

cheers
Bob