Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
Stephanie Weil Stephanie Weil is offline

Default Selenium Rectifier / Metal Rectifier queries

On Jan 9, 5:54*pm, "Paul P" REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom
wrote:

I believe Selenium is still used in the power industry.

http://www.cehco.com/?page_id=233

Paul P.

Metal rectifiers are still used in things like elevators and radio
transmission facilities, I believe. I think they're selenium.
There's also the mercury arc rectifier -- although that's not a solid
state device.

I've heard that copper oxide diodes were superior in that they didn't
decay with age like their selenium counterparts (as those of us
working old radio receivers know).

Stephanie Weil
KC2TJB
Holbrook, NY