Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default Reflowing a laptop PCB ?

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:20:44 +0100, "A. Caspis"
wrote:

Recommendations regarding prerequisites, choice of air gun vs oven,
and safe temperature cycles for this particular purpose would be
appreciated (I have zero experience with reflow soldering).

689 degrees Fahrenheit to bake surface mounts in convection oven.
Duration depends on the size of the SMD.

495 degrees Fahrenheit for solder flow on through the board
connections.

These examples are used in the construction of CPU chips.

Doesn't a motherboard contain various plastic items? Connectors, SIMM
sockets etc? I shudder to think what would happen to my laptop should I do
the above.

Gareth.