Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default PVC and dust collectio safety

Leon wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"cm" wrote in message
Leon,

I agree with your comments. Very good point on the flammables.

One of the books I read suggested it is not worth the chance to use PVC
ducting. I would say it is very safe along with some grounding.

cm

I think the chances are slim but possible depending on the circumstances.
Half of my 20 flexible hose is grounded and I get zapped on occasion.
For that matter I get zapped every time I get out of my truck during the
winter months.

Even at the gas station while other people are pumping gas? And you
haven't spontaneously combusted?!

I am not sure how old you are but I recall numerous news reports of fires at
the pumps caused by a static discharge. Pumps in Houston warn to not fill
loose gas cans inside a vehicle.

I wouldn't dispute that, but no I hadn't heard any such reports and I
figure if they were "numerous" I would have heard of at least one.
Anyway, my (implied) point was that the odds of an explosion in the
presence of static electricity and gasoline vapors would seem far more
likely that one in a wood shop, but how's about we just forget I said
anything and we'll put the lid back on this can of worms...

BTW, I just turned forty-mffmefmfs... :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.