Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default digital radios

In message , Mike
writes
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:31:21 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Mike
scribeth thus
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 21:39:11 +0000, Dave
wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that when analogue TV is switched off that
analogue radio will go the same way?

Maybe......in fifty years time.

I can see a time when some local commercial stations will come off Dab
as it simply isn't cost effective for them to transmit on that format!.

The few people I know that have DAB receivers bought them to receive BBC
Radio 5 Live better;!....

Some say it's probably the best technology item they've ever bought
(or being given) - the older the user the happier they are with it.
(cue "DAB Sounds Worse Than FM" butting in and saying that's because
they are deaf!)

I recently bought one, as I was looking for a new small portable radio
for around the house use, and found a small-ish Sony DAB/FM radio for a
reasonable price (around £25). As expected, the battery life is pretty
short really compared to my old equivalent radio. But it takes AA's and
it's no great problem to change .

DAB sound quality may well be worse, but given that except for some R4
programs I don't sit and listen as such, but mostly am doing housework,
or cooking or something at the time, and this a small little mono radio,
I don't think it matters. The reception seems to be more reliable here
than FM, which seems flakey at times. I expect for the majority of radio
listening this is the case, and DAB quality isn't really an issue.

But the main advantages are ease of use, with an always accurate clock
and no fiddly tuning. It's so easy my mum loves it and she still can't
use a video recorder.

My 4 yo daughter loves it as she can just click through the different
stations till she finds some music she likes the sound of :-) I must say
that I like not having to fiddle about with any tuning

--
Chris French