Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs David Combs is offline

Default credit-card for windshield thin-ice: "credit-card-like"ice-scraper?

In article ,
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 15, 9:51*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message

How many people, do you suppose, have a remote starter? *Or did I miss
something about the OP?

--

I have no idea, but for $150 you can get one installed. *I wish I had it on
my last car but never got around to it. *Had it put on my new one as part of

Handy where you are too. *Nice to have the AC going for a few minutes before
you get in.

Remote Starters: "but for $150 you can get one installed"

Where are you getting a remote starter installed for $150? Don't
believe the price in the ads.

By the time you either add in the bypass module or the extra key that
has to be hidden under the dash and the other "extras" that are always
needed, I doubt you'll spend less than $225. The next time you see an
ad for $150, call them and get the complete details - bypass modules,
key fobs, horn relays, etc - and see if it's still $150.

I've bought enough of them over the years that people ask me how much
they can expect to spend. I tell them to call and get the total cost
and they always come back and tell me I'm right - $225 to $250 is just
about where everyone ends up.

BTW - It's well worth the money on days like today when the overnight
lows are below 5 degrees.

One problem I discovered just this morning.

Early, 5:30am, temp maybe 20 (tomorrow: 5!), I go to the gym.

By the time I get there (3 minutes, close) the heater (ALWAYS
set to blow on the windshield! -- no breath-fogging of it,
and warms it).

And, surprose (not forecast) it was snowing.

So I park, snow is falling, I go exercise for 1.5 hrs, come back
out -- and of course some of that snow has melted, rundown
the windshsield, and frozen again. -- the bottom 2 inches or so
gbeing pretty bad.

Now, had I NOT warmed the windshield, and parked, then no
warming/melting/then/freezing.

Can't win for losing!

Anyway, the remote starter sounds good. But maybe for a
2000 car, a bit expensive? (Unless you can transfer to a newer one later?)

Thanks for the suggestion. Food for thought.

(Were I in minnesota, though, I'd surely do it. But
Westchester (near new york city), ocean/sound 4, 5 miles
away, maybe, maybe not.)

Thanks!

David