Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default What is this hand tool? Link to photo within.

On Jan 12, 8:01*pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:29:35 -0800, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

I found this somewhere, probably in a residential street. What is this?
The metal _hook_ is steel and swivels VERY freely in the plastic handle.

http://www.fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&...Muse_JPGs&file...

Dan

I used one of those for about an hour 40 years ago. *Fortunately,
there was another guy on the crew who liked doing it, even though he
had to bend over all the time.

This was a 6 block section of the new West leg of the Dan Ryan
Expressway on the south side of chicago. Around 80th or 120th street.
It might have been given a name by now.

The asphalt was already down, and iirc steel walls on each side of the
area where the concrete road would be.

There were 6 or 8 of us and I and some others spent the start of the
day putting down the little 8 foot rods with 2 or 3 inch legs. *

Then later we put down the 40 foot rebars that clipped into clips on
the first rods. * For the last hour or two, in order to make 2 4-men
crews, our foreman Leon Daniels would work too.

That one guy spent all day tieing the two kinds of bars together with
your too.

He had to finish, iirc, or vandals might come by and tear things
apart.

One guy felt sorry for him and urged him to get the foreman to put him
on another job part of the day, but he said he liked it. *He was
rather tall and thin.

I haven't seen the tool in use since then, or I wouldn't know what it
was either.

The only re-bar tie tool I used (only once) was one that you hooked
in, pull two or three times and on to the next. The one in the
picture looks like it would be both much slower and awkward in use.

Harry K