Posted to alt.home.repair
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline

Default windshield wiper misses glass for the middle ~3 inches.

THE best wipers I have ever used (and I work in the auto parts business)
are the new Bosch ICON blades.
They have a one piece "backbone" that is precisely curved for YOUR
windshield....in fact it uses DIFFERENT blades for the driver and
passenger side....no "one size fits all".
In even the lightest drizzle they don't skip, shudder or streak and in
heavy weather they give an absolutely perfect no smear wipe. Plus the
rubber is guaranteed to last longer than any other blade on the market.
They ain't cheap. At least $20 each...or more.
But IMHO they're the best there is...bar none.

David Combs wrote:
My lifelong problem with windshield-wipers is that, being 6'3",
while driving a car, my eyes's sightline to the road has always
gone through the windwhield *precisely halfway between* those two
supports that push the rubber "blade" against the windshield.

So, where *I* most comfortably look through the winshield is
where the wiper is guaranteed
to push lightly (if at all!) against the glass -- the rain/snow/ice/dirt/roadScum-hit glass.

Thus leaving a 3-inch band ("annulus") the windshield has any (if any)
effect on.

So, my first question:

Is there a windshield-wiper manufacturer who make ones that have not
two, but three, supports directly pushing the actual blade against
the glass?

And my second: how about ones made for really difficult weather,
eg northern canada or alaska, with lots of ice, freezing-rain, etc?

----- just for fun:

What about these huge semi-trucks -- drive all night in that kind of
weather, what kind of wipers do they have.

Or airplanes?

Or navy destroyers?

Thanks!

David