Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Caldwell Larry Caldwell is offline

Default TV Speaker Recommendtaion

In article , (Tony
Hwang) says...

Bose by design is very inefficient type. It needs lot of power to sound
decent. I never owned Bose.

I have had a couple different Bose speaker systems. My first set was
the original Acoustimass Series II stereo with passive subwoofer. I had
them hooked to a pair of Eico vacuum tube amps that put out 32 RMS watts
apiece. The bass was amazing, which I attribute to the 15 lb. output
transformers. The tube amps finally died, but the speakers are still
going strong as bedroom speakers, hooked to a Sony amp. For a while
they were my TV speakers, with a pair of Optimus minis for the rear
channel. I think they are somewhere around 20 years old.

My current system is a 5.1 surround sound with a powered subwoofer,
hooked to an Onkyo THX certified amp. They sound OK, but the bass is not
as clean as the old unpowered subwoofer. It has a tendency to be boomy.
It took quite a bit of experimenting to find an acceptable combination
of subwoofer gain setting and placement. I wouldn't recommend them for
TV speakers unless you have a good amp.

For stand alone TV speakers, I would look at some of the high end
computer speakers. If there is a 5 channel preamp out on the TV, you
can get 90 watt 5.1 surround sound computer speakers pretty cheap that
will do a good job of filling an average sized room.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.