Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is it possible to reverse the rotation of a radial saw motor?

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:44:36 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

When I got my Delta Band saw - it came from a good dealer in
a state. The manager was at a conference and the guys shipped
a bandsaw and a motor. The motor had sawdust on it and wasn't
in a new box. Hum - stripped it off something. Looks new.

I installed it and the saw ran backwards. Just like a lathe....
I swapped the wires as mentioned - inside it was marked - and
then the saw cut wood. I then converted it to 14".

So wood working motors as others reverse.

Martin

-MIKE- wrote:
wrote:
Just wondering whether it could be done.

I've always wondered the same thing.

Some do, some don't - and some are unpredictable. A good friend has a
nice radial arm saw from the 60's -can't remember the manufacture
(deWalt, perhaps?)r but it's hammertone green - and it will
occaisionally start backwards - but worse yet, if it jams it WILL
reverse. It will throw sticks with a veangeance given half a
chance!!!!!