Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Why won't a multimeter work on a 9V plug?

wrote:

I have several multimeters, including a Fluke and some cheapies.

I wish to use a pair of cheap $2.99 HF meters as dedicated digital
panel meters.

They work fine on a 9V battery.

I would like to hard wire them in.

None of the above will work with an AC battery eliminator.

I am puzzled by this.

Please explain.

Most likely you have the newer, worse model Virtual Ground
power rail, cheapy meters.
Make sure you don't allow the (-)/(+) power lead to come in
contact with the (-)/(+) probe of the meter.

Also, put a cap and a small load across the wallwart, most likely
have one hell of a ripple on it and over voltage.

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"