Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodpeckers?

Blue Jays and Wood Peckers fight. WP always win, but the air battle is
something to watch.

Our house used to look over a 50 foot drop (edge of a hill) and the area
was littered with coastal redwoods around 125-150 feet tall.

An open area bounded on all three sides by redwoods and one side the house
and more trees - was the 3-D battle ground.

Jays put acorns into holes in the redwood trees. They peck holes and press
in the nut. The acid pickles the worm within and the nut seasons. The next
year they come back and eat the acorns and replace them. These trees have
thousands of holes that your thumb can be inserted.

Peckers peck harder so they always win. But the flight was something all birds
sat out and just watched.

Maybe plastic snakes or plastic jays or a R-C Gatling gun!

Martin

Mark & Juanita wrote:
My shop has become a target for woodpeckers and I'm fighting having them
burrowing holes in the siding. This isn't just a small inconvenience, it
is becoming a major damage issue. Has anybody found something (besides
shooting them -- not wanting to try that method to start) to get rid of
them. My folks found the following: http://www.kabatape.com but it's
mighty spendy. I suppose I could try real electrical fencing to accomplish
the same thing by running the hot and a ground wire in close proximity.

Any experience or ideas would be welcome.