Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default OT - Buying a Spotting Scope

I got a Kowa angle eyepiece model (TS-7) about 20 years ago for about $200.
Excellent quality. Quite a bit at the time but a bargain compared to today's
prices.
The smartest thing I did was get a "long eye relief" eyepiece. Wearing
glasses makes seeing through a regular eyepiece a pain. You get a full clear
view with the LER.

Unfortunately, most cheaper scopes don't come with an LER eyepiece, so
you are best off trying a few, which means hitting the brick & mortar
stores. On the cheaper scopes, there can be significant varition from
unit to unit, so try the one you are going to buy, not just a display
model. I had to go through 5 "identical" $80 B&L plastic scopes to find
one that would focus down to 33 feet for my basement air gun range.

30 caliber at 100 yards doesn't take a super duper scope. You don't need
zoom, and in your price range, the extra money you pay for it will give
you inferior optics compared to a fixed power scope. If you only plan on
shooting in broad daylight, you probably don't need anything bigger than
a 50 mm objective. 20 power should be plenty.

I just bought a Kowa TS-501 scope for $150 on eBay. It has good optics,
and a 45 degree eyepiece. I got it for pistol shooting out to 50 yards
(mostly .22), but I suspect it would work fine for 30 caliber holes at
100 yards. They don't specifically claim it has super long eye relief,
but my wife shoots with one & she has never complained about problems
with her glasses.

Doug White