Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Woodpeckers?

Bored Borg wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 04:13:45 +0000, Mark & Juanita wrote
(in article ):

My shop has become a target for woodpeckers and I'm fighting
having them burrowing holes in the siding. This isn't just a
small
inconvenience, it is becoming a major damage issue. Has anybody
found something (besides shooting them -- not wanting to try that
method to start) to get rid of them. My folks found the following:
http://www.kabatape.com but it's mighty spendy. I suppose I
could
try real electrical fencing to accomplish the same thing by running
the hot and a ground wire in close proximity.

Any experience or ideas would be welcome.

No experience but a thought.
Maybe covering favourite pecky spots with something too compliant
for
'em to get any effective impact?

e.g. rubber, foam, carpet

or a set of stand offs made from wine corks or foam rubber cubes

or soft netting, again on stand-offs so beastie can't get the reach
or
purchase to peck effectively..

ditto a grid of nails, connected by rubber bands or fine wire?

or a sign reading "free bird seed!" an ACME rocket sled and a pot of
super-everlasting-glue...

Flashing on baiting a squirrel catapult
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti2LtyelUr4 with bird seed.

--John