Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Concrete machine tools

On Jan 14, 11:36*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Twenty-five years ago I got very interested in concrete and polymer-matrix
machine tools, ...
Is anyone interested? And for you guys who are more web-savvy than I am,
suggestions for a way to upload and display photos and drawings?
Ed Huntress

200 years ago lathe ways were made by mortaring iron strips into
granite blocks. The closest I've come was welding a framework from
steel channel and angle and shimming the pillow block bearings into
alignment. As a long-time prototype machine builder I prefer a design
and construction method that is easy to modify. Plastic castings don't
have much tensile strength, especially where material has to be added
and the reinforcing fibers don't cross the joint. Rapid prototyping
resins were the worst, I've needed to cut away a large bonding surface
and sculpt several batches of epoxy to build up a boss that would hold
a new bearing.

My Picasa photo links have remained on one line since I started
prefixing them with . I don't know how you could post drawings except
as graphic images, there isn't any common drawing package other than
MS Paint. I draw machine parts with a Mentor Graphics circuit board
layout program that theoretically writes and reads DXF, but I've been
unable to open one from another CAD program with it.

Jim Wilkins