Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default having main fuse upgraded

On 7 Jan, 11:55, sm_jamieson wrote:
Balfour Beatty are coming on jan 14th to upgrade my housemain
electricityfuse(to 100A). No fee is involved. I've been told they
cannot work live, and so will have todiga hole in the pavement (I
assume this is to disconnect something). But surely there is no magic
switch under the pavement ?
Anyone know what they will actually do ?
Simon.

Just to report back ...
Well they came, located the cable with a cable detector, dug a hole,
then said they couldn't find the cable. At the same time, the guy
inside said "what's the problem". I said I just wanted 100A fuse and
an isolator, and british gas had said the fuse had to be done by e-on
first, then they would put in a isolator. Well, he had a good look,
said the termination is fine. Its old brown plastic, but no problem
with it. And he also told me the digital meter contains an isolator !
Its under a plastic flap with a small screw, and a label saying
"electrical contractors only". I also noticed the meter says 100A on
it.
So the guy changed the main fuse to 100A (think it was 60 before), and
I have an isolator anyway. Saves paying british gas for one !

I reckon the cable runs under next doors path and hallway, then splits
both ways into the meter cupboard under the stairs. Anyone know what
depth electricity cable is usually installed (1930s house).

Apparently, tomorrow someone will follow up and replace part of the
block paving they dug up. Of course if they'd asked first, they would
never have had to dig the hole at all.

Simon.