Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rural broadband speeds

Mark wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 08:19:41 -0800 (PST), wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 18:41:43 UTC,
wrote:

Why would lossy compression of images, which can reduce image file
size by a factor of say 8, make little difference?
Because most of them are lossily compressed already?
doesnt make any difference to the fact that one can greatly reduce
file size by further (lossy) compression

Why not replace all images with a line saying 'here used to be an image
here' and be done with it?

I used to when on dialup, but a lot of pages dont render acceptably if
you do that today.

If the page was designed properly this should not be a problem.

No, if the page were designed to be used that way, it wouldn't be.

'properly' is not a concept applicable to web page.

I.e. explain to me how to design a porno site for a blind person
'properly' ;-)