Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Water-based varnish: yuck

On Jan 13, 12:21*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Just did a job with some water-based Varathane, not because I wanted to
use it, but because my client demanded it. As soon as I saw what the can
of stuff was, I said "I hate it", but I went ahead and used it.

Now I remember why I hate the stuff. It's milky-white; that's an
unnatural color, in my book, for something that's supposed to form a
clear film. It's awful to work with: dries too fast, difficult to brush
on smoothly, so thin it drips off your brush, just makes a mess.

So my question is, is anyone out there doing quality work with this
stuff? I guess I'm old-school in this regard; give me good old oil-based
(or solvent-based) varnish any day. Just refinished a desk of mine with
oil varnish and it looks bee-yoo-tiful. Finish lays down flat as a
midwestern road.

--
In order to embark on a new course, the only one that will
solve the problem: negotiations and peace with the Palestinians,

Because it's only with enemies that one makes peace.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli writer and peace activist with Gush Shalom.
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery08032006.html)

I go over oil-based stain with the Minwax water-poly version with good
results. Without applying some kind of oil-based stain or conditioner
to the bare wood, the water-based poly raises the grain too much. The
milkyness disappears. I do prefer oil for something like furniture
building. But having lived with varathane wood floors for 10 years
then in a second home lived with water-poly floors for 10 years, I'll
take the water-poly floors over the oil. For quick jobs I can get 3
coats on in a day with water-poly (including the between coat
sandings), with oil this would take a week. I did a whole buch of
dooors that came out fantastic with water-poly (minwax).