Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Food safe glue followup

No, well .... anybody who puts wooden cooking utensils into a dishwasher
deserves a spanking i.m.o. anyway. Brief immersion in hand-hot soapy
water is one thing, the extremes of the dishwasher environment are
something else entirely. In fact I'd trust few if any woods nor finishes
to stand up to that abuse for very long in any event. My sister-in-law's
knife handles bear witness to what I'm saying. A sorry warped, twisted,
buckled and clattering (e.g. loose rivets) mess. shudders

I agree with you... but...

I bought my wife a knife set with wood handles (Chicago Cutlery) shortly
after we were married (1975) I recently retired and started doing
things like emptying the dishwasher which I never did before and to my
horror, I found she was putting these superb knives with wooden handles
in the washer. Of course I complained about it and she said she has
always done it with no ill effects. There have been no ill effects, the
handles never had finish on them but they are in great shape after I
guess 32 + years. No warpage, no loose rivets, etc. I have no idea
what type of wood it is either, and I still shudder to think about
putting anything wood in the dishwasher but had to mention this.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com