Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default Food safe glue followup

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message
LOL... I use cedar boards for cooking salmon now and then (they don't get
so hot they burn and not glued up pieces) but I can't imagine making a
glued up baking dish. The only times I could imagine a glued up piece
being at 212F (hmmm... what's significant about that number?) ...

Glue chemistry is a bit more interesting than that (not that I know all that
much about it). PVAs polymerize as they cure, independently of simply losing
moisture, forming longer chains of, ummm, polymers. Adding water to cured
glue doesn't "dissolve" those chains. Steaming the wood, however, still has
the effect that steaming wood always had. I wonder why I never thought to
remodel the spoon handles though...

(Regarding a past conversation about gluing one side or both sides, I just
read my glue bottle. Titebond says to "Apply a heavy spread of glue to
surface and clamp". I always just put glue on the surface, but let the
squeeze out snot up the clamp. It also doesn't say one side or both
sides.)