Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Dunsley/Baker neutraliser

In message
,
robgraham writes

OK. At some future stage we may want to let the main farmhouse so I am
anxious to keep the heating system understandable.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

In that case I would suggest you duck out of this complication - in
fact having seen what inexperienced users do to log burners, I would
duck out of that too; recently been to two places where the log stoves
had been b******d by users not knowing how to use them.

As you know, I am trying to proceed cautiously:-)

The original purpose of the log burner was to offset some of the cost of
gas heating; by putting heat into an open plan area. At present, the
rambling nature of a T shaped development, lots of external wall and
insulation to mid '90's standard mean that a conventional 100.000Btu
boiler struggles to change the building temperature.

Clean burn with wood and a *wrap around* boiler is a bit of a
contradiction that even the manufacturers hint at. The original plan to
provide most of DHW and CH during the evening from logs looks very
uncertain. Expecting tenants to return from work and light log fires is
hopeful in the extreme:-)

At present, we inefficiently burn logs on an open fire for Winter
evenings. The immediate plan is to instal a large log burner in the
centre of the house and gain some experience of whether this makes that
particular room untenable and how heat dissipates elsewhere in the
building. With the benefit of advice from here, consider retro-fitting
either a 10,000Btu or 27,000Btu boiler and linking to the existing
system.

By the time we get to tenants, the main boiler will probably be
condensing, some of the load will have been diverted due to building
alterations and BG will have lowered their tariff:-)

regards

Rob

--
Tim Lamb