Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default Food safe glue followup

In article 3107e2be-f490-432e-b744-f87df30c3da9@
40g2000prx.googlegroups.com, says...

I'd not count too much on the urethanes for long-term survival
dishwasher use but they've a better chance and should last somewhat
longer. If it's only a breadboard or somesuch w/o a lot of heavy
effort in the construction, sure. Fancy multi-blank turned salad
bowls or somesuch, I'd hate to risk the effort.

all imo, $0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ..., of course...

No, well .... anybody who puts wooden cooking utensils into a dishwasher
deserves a spanking i.m.o. anyway. Brief immersion in hand-hot soapy
water is one thing, the extremes of the dishwasher environment are
something else entirely. In fact I'd trust few if any woods nor finishes
to stand up to that abuse for very long in any event. My sister-in-law's
knife handles bear witness to what I'm saying. A sorry warped, twisted,
buckled and clattering (e.g. loose rivets) mess. shudders

Incidentally, one glue I haven't seen mentioned here is the old Aerolite
308 which is one of the most temperature/water resistant glues I've
used. Not sure about food-save approval, it does contain formaldehyde to
start with. I used to use it for kitchen benches and tables that would
get wet and hot-wet and were only finished with oils ...

-P.