Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodpeckers?

wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:13:45 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

My shop has become a target for woodpeckers and I'm fighting having them
burrowing holes in the siding. This isn't just a small inconvenience, it
is becoming a major damage issue. Has anybody found something (besides
shooting them -- not wanting to try that method to start) to get rid of
them. My folks found the following: http://www.kabatape.com but it's
mighty spendy. I suppose I could try real electrical fencing to
accomplish the same thing by running the hot and a ground wire in close
proximity.

Any experience or ideas would be welcome.

Heed the noisy warning. Woodpeckers have detected insect activity
behind that siding. It's not the woodpeckers you need to worry about.
When you fix the real problem, they will go elsewhere to find food.

Nope, no bugs. This is a misconception regarding the idea that
woodpeckers only go after places with bugs inside. I've had them poke
holes through siding in a storage shed where there was absolutely no place
for bugs to be ensconced (i.e, composite board siding with nothing behind
it. As someone else pointed out, they peck for several reasons, one of
which is to attract a mate (not all of them can use the metal chimney at
the same time) and also because they hear voids or other returns that
indicate to them that there might be a bug inside that wood.