Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodpeckers?

Axel Grease wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

My shop has become a target for woodpeckers and I'm fighting having
them
burrowing holes in the siding. This isn't just a small inconvenience,
it
is becoming a major damage issue. Has anybody found something (besides
shooting them -- not wanting to try that method to start) to get rid of
them. My folks found the following: http://www.kabatape.com but it's
mighty spendy. I suppose I could try real electrical fencing to

accomplish
the same thing by running the hot and a ground wire in close proximity.

Any experience or ideas would be welcome.

--

Woodpeckers don't peck for no reason. They come back to places where
tasty

In this case, they are pecking away for no reason. This is particle board
siding, there are no bugs inside or out. Some of this is the pecking to
attract a mate by making loud noises.

Have you sprayed the siding with insecticide?

otherwise -
Have you tried rubber toy snakes and/or owl decoys? Fake owls need a
movable head or even motorized wings. Stationary ones get ignored
eventually. Yellow glass eyes help. Farm supply stores often carry them.
Also - http://www.shopwiki.com/search/Owl+Decoy
Some places also sell hawk decoys.

I'll have to look for an owl with moveable head, they certainly aren't
intimidated by the stationary one. I won't keep rubber snakes about --
we've got too many of the real ones and I don't want anyone to become
complacent.

Axel