Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Lighting opinions

"mark" wrote in
:

Greetings All,
I have a basement which has just a couple of 48" flourescents right
now. I
need to add more lighting and was looking at replacing the
flourescents with something else brighter. Since the machine layout
will be in flux for a while, ceiling cans are out. Besides, my local
code requires conduit everywhere, and I'm not going thru that for
ceiling cans. I was at the borg and picked up a couple of GE 24"
halogen fixtures, thnking they would be nice and bright. I was dead
wrong. Dim, compared to my flourescents. Probably good for a small
area at best. The one thing I did like about them is they are
linkable. Any ideas out there? Bright, and linkable would be good....
TIA, Mark

If you're looking for something to provide some task lighting that's
movable but could be placed in conduit, there's various forms of track
lighting available. Most take a standard 60W bulb (so CFL replacements
are cheap and easy) and can be turned to light up the area you want them
to light up.

I haven't used them in a shop environment, though, so it's hard to say
how they'd hold up. It seems that one track light fixture will light up
about the same area as one 4' flourescent fixture.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.