Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default Shop Lighting opinions

wrote:
On Jan 11, 2:51 pm, "mark" wrote:
Greetings All,
I have a basement which has just a couple of 48" flourescents right now. I
need to add more lighting and was looking at replacing the flourescents with
something else brighter. Since the machine layout will be in flux for a
while, ceiling cans are out. Besides, my local code requires conduit
everywhere, and I'm not going thru that for ceiling cans. I was at the borg
and picked up a couple of GE 24" halogen fixtures, thnking they would be
nice and bright. I was dead wrong. Dim, compared to my flourescents.
Probably good for a small area at best. The one thing I did like about them
is they are linkable. Any ideas out there? Bright, and linkable would be
good.... TIA, Mark

I've installed 37 4 foot 2 bulb fluorescent fixtures in my basement.
About $20 each from Menards. Don't notice any buzzing or flickering.
Not cheap at $20 per fixture. And they do need to be wired in. So
that takes time and effort. But I'm happy with all of the light.
Using the cheap bulbs because they are $0.80 per bulb compared to the
$5 per bulb for the high CRI bulbs. Couldn't quite reconcile the
difference. White walls and white floor are wonderful. Conduit as
opposed to regular old 12/2 sheathed wire? Odd codes.

With that much light, you can probably grow some nice plants ;-)