Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
N8N N8N is offline

Default It's official, coupons ran out: was The year we lose our TVsignals

On Jan 9, 2:55*pm, "YouKidding?" wrote:
In article ,

*Jimw wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 03:26:12 -0500, Ann wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 15:25:39 -0500, Ann wrote:

Just relating how the coupon thing works ... which I didn't know until
recently. *If one is to believewww.dtv2009.gova coupon ordered today
should be mailed on the 19th of this month. *But apparently that's in
doubt.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/WaitingList.aspx

"The TV Converter Box Coupon Program has reached its funding ceiling.
However, coupon requests from eligible households will be filled on a
first-come-first-served basis as funds become available from expiring
coupons. You will not receive coupons until funds becomes available. If
you would like to apply for a coupon today and are eligible, you will be
placed on a waiting list. ...

Consumers who have an analog TV and rely on a rooftop antenna or rabbit
ears to receive their programs are encouraged to take action to ensure at
least one TV in their home is prepared for the digital television
transition. You may:

* ** Purchase a TV converter box without a coupon;
* ** Buy a TV with a digital tuner, or;
* ** Subscribe to cable, satellite or another pay service."

In this case, it looks like some people WILL lose their tv signals in
February. *This whole thing has been a joke. *I got my coupons early
in the program. *For the first two months no stores even had the
converters. *I finally had to take a 1.5 hour drive (each way) to get
a converter about 2 days before the coupon expired. *Now the stores
are loaded with the converters, and the coupons ran out. *Leave it to
the government to screw things up.

I know a lot of people who don't understand the digital changeover. *
Despite all the ads saying that if you have cable or receive your TV
signal from satellite, I know a lot of people who got the coupons and
bought boxes that don't need them. *

Of course. I know several people who are waiting to see what happens
in Feb. and if they get enough stations they may just cancel their
cable, because cable rates are quite high.

You could count me in that group...
nate