Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] mike@anywhere.net is offline

Default Woodpeckers?

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:13:45 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

My shop has become a target for woodpeckers and I'm fighting having them
burrowing holes in the siding. This isn't just a small inconvenience, it
is becoming a major damage issue. Has anybody found something (besides
shooting them -- not wanting to try that method to start) to get rid of
them.

You might try feeding them something besides your shop.

Pecker like just about any suet feeder and anything that will hold
large sunflower seeds or peanuts.

We have a couple of wire tube feeders that we fill with mostly
sunflower seeds and peanuts. We get three different kinds of peckers
on them (not at the same time) and they never bother the house.

These feeders tubes are made of galvanized welded wire with about 1/4"
x 1/4" square holes about 18" long and bent into about a 3" tube.
There is a block of 2x wood at the top and bottom with a 3" hole saw
hole drilled about 3/4" deep into one side of each block. The wire
tube is tied together in the middle and the top and bottom inserted
into the slot made by the hole saw. A piece of cable runs through
the bottom block through the middle of the tube and through the top
block far enough for a hanging hoop to made at the top and far enough
so the pieces slide apart for filling.
Very simple but the peckers sure like it. It might be worth a shot.

Mike O.