Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Shop Lighting opinions

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:45:45 -0600, -MIKE- cast forth these pearls of
wisdom...:

Well, you've certainly had a different experience than me. For the last
9 years, I changed out those cheap ones, like they're disposable. None
lasted more than 2 years, some less than a year. The ballasts were
twice as much as the fixtures. When I did open one up, I found all the
ballast parts scattered in the fixture housing, all attached in a
different manner, with wiring all tangled and soldered.

The ballasts for the $15 fixture is one a self contained metal housing
and can be changed with one screw and a few wire nuts, without
disassembling or un-mounting the fixture. Another $18 light had an
integrated plug.. the ballast could be changed quicker than two tubes.
:-)

Are you talking about the $8 fixtures at HD Mike? That's the specific
cheap fixture we're speaking about here. I've opened several of those up
and have never seen what you describe. I did have a like experience with
the $20 fixtures from Lowes. Pure junk. I'm pretty sure they were
American Florescent. They quickly stop going into run mode and begin
eating up bulbs like there is no tomorrow.

Where are you getting the $18 dollar fixtures you're using? Brand? Always
on the hunt for good stuff in case I later decide that the good stuff I've
stumbled across does not turn out to be all that good.

--

-Mike-