Posted to rec.woodworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Shop Lighting opinions

Whatever you do for additional lighting, also consider making the walls
and ceiling lighter in color to reflect more light.
I have a long, narrow shop. It has 5 2 tube 4' flourescents running
down the middle. And then, along each edge of the room, 4 more of
them. The main light switches (3 ways, at each door) turns on the
middle section and separate switches turn on the lights on each edge of
the shop. The whole shop is painted white.
Even with all that, I still do have task lights (incandescent) at the
lathe and the scroll saw.

Just a note on height: This shop has 9 foot ceilings. But I still
didn't want the lamps in the way if I'm standing up an 8 foot sheet of
something, so instead of the chains that hold the fixtures up, I screwed
them right to the ceiling (with a 1" spacer).

This set up works quite well.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

mark wrote:
Greetings All,
I have a basement which has just a couple of 48" flourescents right now. I
need to add more lighting and was looking at replacing the flourescents with
something else brighter. Since the machine layout will be in flux for a
while, ceiling cans are out. Besides, my local code requires conduit
everywhere, and I'm not going thru that for ceiling cans. I was at the borg
and picked up a couple of GE 24" halogen fixtures, thnking they would be
nice and bright. I was dead wrong. Dim, compared to my flourescents.
Probably good for a small area at best. The one thing I did like about them
is they are linkable. Any ideas out there? Bright, and linkable would be
good.... TIA, Mark