Posted to rec.woodworking
C & E C & E is offline

Default Woodpeckers?

"Axel Grease" wrote in message
ns...
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

My shop has become a target for woodpeckers and I'm fighting having
them burrowing holes in the siding. This isn't just a small
inconvenience, it is becoming a major damage issue. Has anybody found
something (besides shooting them -- not wanting to try that method to
start) to get rid of them. My folks found the following:
http://www.kabatape.com but it's mighty spendy. I suppose I could try
real electrical fencing to accomplish the same thing by running the hot
and a ground wire in close proximity.

Any experience or ideas would be welcome.

--

Woodpeckers don't peck for no reason. They come back to places where
tasty bugs live. Have you sprayed the siding with insecticide?

otherwise - Have you tried rubber toy snakes and/or owl decoys? Fake owls
need a movable head or even motorized wings. Stationary ones get ignored
eventually. Yellow glass eyes help. Farm supply stores often carry them.
Also - http://www.shopwiki.com/search/Owl+Decoy
Some places also sell hawk decoys.

Axel

They aren't necessarily *finding* bugs. They are searching for bugs as they
tap likely place which sound like there may be bugs there. (symantics) For
instance, My T1-11 siding is perforated everywhere there is a void in the
plywood. Not a flame, Axel. Just a note from my particular experience.
Why they keep returning to certain places is a mystery to me.