Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Woodpeckers?

Mark & Juanita wrote:
My shop has become a target for woodpeckers and I'm fighting having them
burrowing holes in the siding. This isn't just a small inconvenience, it
is becoming a major damage issue. Has anybody found something (besides
shooting them -- not wanting to try that method to start) to get rid of
them. My folks found the following: http://www.kabatape.com but it's
mighty spendy. I suppose I could try real electrical fencing to accomplish
the same thing by running the hot and a ground wire in close proximity.

Any experience or ideas would be welcome.

You did not say if there is one or several holes. I solved my
woodpecker problem as follows

I went into the antic one day and saw a big bird in a hole in the end of
the antic. I tried to cover it with metal, and the birds made another
hole below it. I though of all sorts of solutions; I liked the
guillotine idea but my wife said NO.

I was out in the garage and saw the cat cage. It was made of wire mesh
and the end opened to put the cat in. I took the cage into the antic
and placed it so both holes were in the opening of the cat cage.
Thinking that would only keep them from the antic, I then added a cookie
sheet with about a quarter inch of motor oil in it. To complete the
solution, I added mothballs to the oil.

The woodpeckers never returned, but I did have a problem explaining it
to the painters when I had the house painted.