Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Dunsley/Baker neutraliser

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
Does anyone have practical experience of fitting one.

I have been trepidating over ordering a log burner with CH boiler
basically because I suspect the coil on my existing hot tank is too
low for either version of the neutraliser to work under gravity alone.

Raising the tank is not very practical as it would then bulge into
the loft. A second hot tank could be installed but with what benefit?

As a sideways step I have ordered a log burner which can have a CH
boiler retro-fitted while I seek counsel:-)

regards
-- Tim Lamb

They are a total and utter waste of expensive time. Get a heat bank
/thermal store which does the same, a neutral point, but far more.

For explanation:
http://www.heatweb.com

An interesting site. A minor criticism is that the descriptive notes to
their explanatory diagrams do not display legibly in my version of
Explorer.

Prevention of *boiling* is fundamental to any unattended solid fuel
appliance but this is the first time I have seen mains cold water, run
to waste, suggested as an overheat prevention measure.

An initial reaction is concern at the number of additional pumps! I find
my existing system, run all year on demand, needs a new pump every 6
years. Currently I am changing to the adaptive version in the hope of
quieter operation near control temperature and better pump life.

These do bespoke stainless steel versions.
http://www.advanceappliances.co.uk/g...e_systems.html

I'll have a closer look when I have more time. An initial reaction is
that a simple neutraliser and associated controls is likely to be much
cheaper as a retro-fit. Where was your system when we were making
decisions in 1994?

regards

--
Tim Lamb