Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimw Jimw is offline

Default dryer hums and doesn't spin

On 12 Jan 2009 01:40:47 GMT,
(173green) wrote:

I have a dryer that stop spining. The motor only hummed but don't spin. I
changed the motor #279827 and it still only hums (with or without the belt
attached). with it humming if I spin the blower wheel (without the belt) I
can get the motor to start spin but once I stop it it will not restart
without spining the blower wheel. I do notice that I don't need to push
the start button it will start hummig once I turn the large knob. ant
suggests?

Did you try plugging the motor directly into an outlet?
Attach a cord with a plug on the end to the motor, use a few wirenuts
and plug it in. If it still hums, you got motor problems on BOTH
motors. If it spins normally, there is a wiring or switch problem.
Try this with out the belt first, then put on the belt and try again
(if the motor worked the first time).

If these are capacitor motors, the caps may be bad, if problem is the
motors themselves.