Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Problem with 4 yr old Whirlpool Refridgerator

"Steve" wrote in message
I have a @ 4 yr old top freezer Whirlpool fridge that just quit
cooling?? The compressor was starting to run continuously and the
lower fridge compartment was barely able to stay at about 43 F. The
top freezer compartment could no longer make or keep ice cubes......
I thought it might be the defroster heater that went out but when I
took the back panel off the freezer compartment there was absolutly no
ice build up on the coils?? I did remove the bottom grill and the
coils at the bottom were pretty clogged with lint so cleaned them up
as good as we could but still wouldn't work?? The little collector
pan at the bottom was empty and dry also.... Any ideas??
Steve

One possibility is that the defrost heater is staying on. If the heater is
off, airflow over inside and outside coils is good, compressor is running,
and doors seal tightly, then you likely have low refrigerant charge or a bad
compressor. While you are checking, be sure the drain(s) for the condesate
water from the inside coil to the drain pan is/are not clogged.

Don Young