Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Storing Construction Lumber

"J.A.Michel" wrote in message

I picked up about 40 2x4's on sale today. The intent is to use them to
finish my basement at some point in the future. They were too good of a
deal to pass up, but I won't finishing my basement for some time to come.

So I intend to just stack them and store them in the basement. Is there
anything special I should do like set them on cleats or strap the stack
to prevent warping? The basement is clean, dry and heated / cooled.

Thanks! J.A.

After reading here, I think I'll stack it in a neat pile on some shorter
scraps of wood, and bind it with ratchet-straps at the ends and in the
middle. Hopefully warpage will be minimal.

I really believe you need spacers in between. Otherwise the outer boards
will absorb and/or release moisture unevenly and that is very likely to
cause warping. Stacking the boards together is also likely to cause mold to
grow between them. Good air circulation and support will give the best
results.

Don Young